Sunday, May 19, 2019

OLD STORY UNFORTUNATELY STILL RELEVANT

A personal story, which I have told before, which I regret still has relevance today, but shouldn't have, is how because of experiences, I changed from being anti-abortion to being anti-abortion but pro-choice:  

.My work took me behind the Iron Curtain to the Soviet-dominated country of Romania, then under the brutal administration of a Communist dictator, Nicolae Ceausescu who, seeking more workers for his factories, imposed even harsher penalties on women, living under difficult conditions as is, if they did not bear more children for the State. Abortions were banned in Romania.

I was particularly drawn to the plight of the children themselves who as pawns of the State received scant attention from mothers who had to work themselves to the bone to not only provide for more children than she could handle but eke out a livelihood in a Communist society.

In effect, Romania had enslaved women's bodies to serve the State.
I could not accept that any government legislate slavery for any person.  A woman has the right to decide whether she wants more children or not.  I changed my views.  Although like most, I am still anti-abortion, I am strongly pro-choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment