Saturday, June 2, 2018

MAKING AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

Only twice in my lifetime has the American public applied the appellation "Great" to an American era or period in its history.  The first time was the Great Depression and the second time was the Great Recession.  Both times were not happy periods, for me, and I hope I can be forgiven if I continue to be apprehensive about Trump's promise to make us "great" again.

My sense of apprehension is further aggravated by seeing repetitions of actions which have been singled out for having possibly caused both previous calamities, namely tariffs restricting foreign trade on the one hand and removing restrictions on common sense regulations on the other.  

My disbelief that anything good will come of repeating the same old mistakes, expecting a different outcome, makes me suspect that the next economic downturn will be a doozie that will not be remedied by bumper sticker talk or other traditional cures.

1 comment: